Currently the world is divided into zones. Crossing from one zone into another is visible to the player as walking towards a border and then being moved over. In a continuous world players and creatures would not notice these zone borders at all.
Players should not notice the tile grid(that is another topic)
- Players should not notice zone borders
- Players should not get update message about a complete zone anymore
Notes from the Arianne project meeting 2010
- Zone change invisible to player
- Creatures must be able to cross zones
- Creatures must not be dragged to newbie zones
- Zones keeping creatures out need a natural barrier, or use protection
- Creatures walking back after invisible boarder are easy victims to archers
- Client refactored first?
- Marauroa needs a perception mechanism that is not purely based on zones.
- See also Refactoring Delta^2
- The Continuous World of Dungeon Siege
- gamedev-forum: Continuous World in a 2D game
- Game Development: XNA: Stream loading a HUGE 2D world map