Stendhal Development Meeting 2017-02-11
- New images to replace the deleted ones
- Web client
New images to replace the deleted ones
- Stendhal has a lot of original artwork that was specially created for Stendhal.
- But some images are from sources for free (as in GPL) images. In Issue 29 mislabeled images were reported.
- We had the situation in the past, that other people took Stendhal assets or ideas and we got wrong complains about copying later. But in this case there is a probability, that the original source is non-free.
- Therefore we deleted 80 images, 60 of them are used in Stendhal
- 4x3 pictures per image
- The rows are the direction North, East, South, West.
- The columns are steps, the center is the standing still image. The first column is the right first step, the third is the left
- Layered images
- If you use layers, please also commit the image format which supports layers next to the .png file. The distribution script only packs the .png files into the client.zip, so no need to worry about download size.
- We want to make editing easy in the spirit of open source, so layered version should be provided (The GPL defines "source" as "the preferred form to make modification in"
- The most likely people who make edits are ourselves.
- Legit images
- We should declare Charas an unacceptable source for future contribution to Stendhal because there might be more non free images. Most of the probably are legit free images-
- We should try to verify that the sources of edits are likely legal images.
- We also had to delete some images, that were pixel identical to other images, just with another colour theme. Slimes for example. Or dragon riders based on an problematic dragon.
- Git commit comments and perhaps .png comments should specify sources
- Image styles
- Wiki page: StendhalRefactoringGraphics#Specification
- Some images are resized from smaller sizes with scale2x, resulting in a thick line style.
- New images can use the higher native resolution like Monogenes
- Also the images are aligned with the bottom of the 'cell' with the feet actually on the boundary.
- Scaling down larger images is problematic for thin lines
- Images with semi transparency need to be tested with translucency setting off in client
- In the past the web client was low priority because it did not work on all computers. But I think nowadays, a web client will work on a larger number of computers than Java.
- https://stendhalgame.org/client/stendhal.html (that's a very early prototype)
- The link connects to test server, so don't be worried about dieing.
- Especially testing on Microsoft Edge is needed because some developers don't have Microsoft Windows. Polymer is broken on Edge at this time
- Next step is to check and update the list of important features: https://stendhalgame.org/client/webclient-todo.html
- Fixing corpse and chests is important. It will require some mechanism for popup windows