Stendhal Development Meeting 2009-11-22/Result Log/World Map
Regions in Stendhal
- there are already "regions" like Semos (with the city, village and farm), Ados (city is multi zone), Nalwor Forest, ...
- each region has a theme
- Semos is a rural region for low level players
- Ados a port city with a food issue
- Nalwor is an elvish region
- perhaps regions may be suitable for level-ranges
- as a rule we stick to keeping the Semos areas safer, not putting crazy creatures there, nalwor is indeed the elvish area, and so on
- we already have the idea that the further you go from Semos City the less safe it is
- perhaps we can make that more obvious to players
- regions vs. zone
- currently the main way to identify your position in the world is the zone name.
- something like 0_semos_city, int_semos_townhall, 0_semos_village_w.
- those names are there for technical reasons.
- I guess we still need them. But I would like to have some in-game names. Not on a per zone basis.
- a "region" is usually something that spawns multiple zones.
- Ados city is so huge that it has multiple zones.
- But from a players point of view that is Ados city.
- We probably should use the current zone names as subtitle.
- we currently don't have a map in game because it uses too much memory to display it.
- but we may be able to create multiple maps. One per region.
- those would be a lot smaller.
- like the map of ados city that Julius gives out
- those regions should be more visible
- for example with a transparent message on screen when you enter another region
- there are zone entrance messages
- a message you get every time when you go from say Orril to Nalwor.
- but without the white background so that it is not annoying.
- or the messaging area text, is less annoying because it doesn't pop up, like /me in chat
- we do have a global coordinate system for all maps, except those starting with "int_".
- it would be cool if we had a wiki page for each "region".
- it should say something about the region, the background story, what makes it special, its history, etc.
- many NPCs in world give useful background information about the regions they are in. It would be very useful to have that on the Wiki (without spoiling the quests)
- Ados is a port-city. It suffers from not having enough food.
- Semos consists of an old village and a small city. It is a rural area.
- a good starting point is StendhalAtlas and StendhalHistory
- such collected background stories will make it easier to write new quests that fit into the theme.
- suggested page content
- a small image of the map
- background story about the whole region
- points of interests
- out-of-character information for players
- photos (screenshots)
- see Semos for a first example
- blackfinix and yoriy volunteered
- more help welcomed
Expanding the world
- Will the map become extended with the next release?
- There are still many empty spots, so we prefer to focus on improving existing zones rather than adding new ones
- There are ideas for future expanding at StendhalRefactoringAtlas
Stendhal Atlas image
- The map with dungeon entrances is very outdated (0.62 instead of 0.79).
- Currently it is created manually by drawing the circles right into the .png file
- The StendhalAtlas should be a two layer image instead
- the generated map images
- the yellow circle overlay
- So the overlay can easily be applied to new versions of the map file
- Other map topics:
- jpeg was suggested as image file format
- region borders (see region section) could be added as a layer, too
volunteered to create the multi layer map as Gimp .xcf filecreated WorldWithMarkedDungeons091122.xcf.