Stendhal Item Ideas
Please see HowToAddItemsStendhal for an explanation how to implement new items and more details on some of the properties described below. Here we describe the general requirements to define fully an item so that we can easily add a new item to the game from your idea.
Interesting ideas are really welcomed. They need to be well balanced, so suggestions for items which throw out the existing system by being much too good/much too cheaply available, or which substitute other items in a cheaper way, will need to be tweaked. Items which cost a lot are fine because players would like to have more interesting things to spend their money on.
These properties define an item:
- name e.g. wooden shield
- class e.g. shield
- description e.g. You see a wooden shield. It is made of cheap wood and heavily used. However, it still seems to offer you some kind of basic protection.
- image, see image requirements
- Is it 'stackable' up into a bag slot like money, scrolls, or you hold 1 at a time like armor, club
- detailed attributes which may be :
- atk, rate, lifesteal, damage type for offensive weapons
- def, damage type resistances/susceptibility for defensive weapons
- amount to heal/protect for potions and antidotes
- place to teleport to for scrolls
- total amount, amount to eat at a time, how fast you eat it for food and drink and poisons
- any other attributes you think are important
- weight e.g. a scroll is 0.01 and a very heavy sword is 15
- where it is equipable - hands, bag, keyring, cloak, etc
- any other special properties of the item which are not defined here but are part of the idea
Next to think about is how should this item be available in world?
- Quest reward? What quest?
- Creature drops? Which creatures, what % chance and from what quantity range each time (if stackable)
- Buying from NPC? Who, how much?
- From wells or other special sources like fishing?
- Harvesting from ground? What is needed to harvest it? Should it have a different picture as it grows (like carrot?)
- Lying around to pick up?
- Produced by NPCs if you take other items? What other items? How long should the NPC take per item?
Finally, what is the use of the item? It is unlikely we will add items which have no use. E.g. the use of a nalwor city scroll is that it's a scroll to take players to nalwor city, which we want to encourage because we like them to visit the city and play there. The use of coal is that you need it in a quest for Haunchy Meatoch. The use of studded shield is that it's a good starting armor for new players and they can get it in a number of interesting ways. It can also be sold later.
Please add your ideas here in the layout described above